It may be defined as “A general plan for future layout of a city showing both exiting and proposed streets and roads, open spaces, public buildings, etc”
Objects of Development Plan
Following are the main objects of preparing a development plan for the town
- It aims at intelligent and economic spending of the public funds for achieving welfare of the inhabitants in respect of amenity, convenience and health.
- It arranges the pattern of a town in such a way so as to satisfy the present requirements without introduction of future improvements by the coming generations.
- It helps in restricting the haphazard and unplanned growth.
- It places various functions which a town has to perform in physical relationship of each other so as to avoid the chances of mutual conflict
- It removes the defects of uncoordinated physical growth of various components of town due to the fact that it considers the entire city area of town as planning and development entity
- It serves as a guide to the planning body for making any recommendations for publicimprovement.