Water exists on the earth in all its three states, viz. liquid, solid, gaseous and in various degrees of motion.
- Water, irrespective of different states, involves dynamic aspect in nature.
- The dynamic nature of water, the existence of water in various state with different hydrological process result in a very important natural phenomenon called Hydrologic cycle.
Evaporation of water from water bodies, such as oceans and lakes, formation and movement of clouds, rain and snowfall, stream flow and ground water movement are some examples of the dynamic aspects of water.
- Evaporation from water bodies (oceans, rivers, lakes etc)
- Water vapour moves upwards
- Cloud formation
- Precipitate (in different states)
- Transpiration (from plants)
- Deep percolation
- Ground water flow
- The hydrologic cycle has importance influence in a variety of fields agriculture, forestry, geography, economics, sociology, and political scene. It also has a big effect on the ground water condition.
- Engineering application of the knowledge are found in the design and operation of the projects dealing with water supply, hydropower, irrigation & drainage, flood control, navigation, coastal work, various hydraulic structure works, salinity control and recreational use of water.