Pre-stress concrete is defined as “The application of compressive stress to concrete member to overcome the concrete natural weakness in tension”
Main objective in structural engineering are
- To economize the construction of structure.
- To use high strength materials.
- To improve method of analysis & design.
In result of these objectives pre-stress concrete was introduce.
Pre-Stress Concrete Members
It is structural member in which stress distribution can counter act the effect of external loading to a desire degree
Concept of Pre-Stressing
- Concrete is weak in tension and by pre-stressing this can be overcome.
- It can also control the cracks propagation & deflection.
- Pre-stress concrete approach reduces self weight or dead weight of structure and due to this longer span member can be use for making bridges & building.
- Eccentric pre-stressing is usually much more efficient then concentric.
- Pre-stressing can control as eliminate tensile stress for a specified loading.
- The variable eccentricity is preferable than constant eccentricity as it helps to control the stress & deflection.